Dr Kim-Chi Phan-Thien
BSc(Med), MBBS(Hons), MS, FRACS
Dr Kim Phan-Thien is an experienced Colorectal Surgeon that has been consulting and operating for over 4 years. She specialises in minimally invasive (“keyhole”) and robotic techniques for the management of colorectal and pelvic floor conditions.
Dr Phan-Thien graduated with Honours from the University of New South Wales. She then went on to obtained her Master of Surgery from the University of Sydney. Dr Phan-Thien completed her surgical training and colorectal fellowship through Liverpool and St George Hospitals. She is a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons and a member of the Colorectal Surgical Society of Australia and New Zealand.
Dr Phan-Thien has a particular interest in minimally invasive (transanal, laparoscopic and robotic) techniques for the treatment of colorectal conditions. As an experienced robotic surgeon, she is a da Vinci accredited robotic proctor and helps with the training of surgeons in robotic techniques.
Dr Phan-Thien’s clinical practice encompasses colorectal cancer, inflammatory bowel disease and anorectal pathology. To provide wholistic care for her female patients with endometriosis and functional problems of the pelvic floor, she collaborates with Endogynaecology and Urogynaecology specialists. As a member of the St George Pelvic Floor Unit, she helps manage colorectal problems affecting women during their pregnancy and following delivery.
Dr Phan-Thien has a passion for teaching and research. She has been recognised by the Academy of Surgical Educators of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons and the University of New South Wales for her contributions to medical education. She has been an invited speaker at scientific meetings. Her past research collaborations in Lynch syndrome have led to the Cancer Institute NSW Premier’s Award for Excellence in Translational Cancer Research.
Hospital Operating Appointments
Dr Phan-Thien is accredited to perform surgery at the following hospitals:
- St George Public Hospital
- St George Private Hospital
- Hurstville Private Hospital
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (FRACS)
- Master of Surgery (USYD)
- Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS)(Honours)(UNSW)
- Bachelor of Science (Med)(UNSW)
Surgical Training & Research
- Surgical Fellowship in Colorectal Surgery (Liverpool & St George Public Hospitals (Sydney)
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Colorectal Surgical Society of Australia & New Zealand
- NSW Premier’s Award for Excellence in Translational Cancer Research
- Supervisor of the Year in NSW (2015) – The Academy of Surgical Educators (Royal Australasian College of Surgeons)
- Best Consultant Teacher (2016) – The University of New South Wales