Dr Kim-Chi Phan-Thien
BSc(Med), MBBS(Hons), MS, FRACS
About Dr Kim
Dr Kim Phan-Thien specialises in minimally invasive and robotic techniques for the management of colorectal and pelvic floor conditions.
Kim graduated with honours from the University of New South Wales and obtained her Master of Surgery from the University of Sydney. She completed her surgical training and colorectal fellowship through Liverpool and St George Hospitals. Kim is a fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons and a member of the Colorectal Surgical Society of Australia and New Zealand.
Kim has a particular interest in minimally invasive (transanal, laparoscopic and robotic) techniques for the treatment of colorectal conditions. She is a certified Master Surgeon and program director of the Centre of Excellence in Robotic, Minimally Invasive and Colorectal Surgery at Hurstville Private Hospital. As an experienced robotic surgeon, she is a da Vinci accredited robotic proctor and helps with the training of surgeons in robotic techniques.
Kim’s clinical practice encompasses colorectal cancer, inflammatory bowel disease and anorectal pathology. To provide wholistic care for her female patients with endometriosis and functional problems of the pelvic floor, she collaborates with Endogynaecology and Urogynaecology specialists. As a member of the St George Pelvic Floor Unit, she helps manage colorectal problems affecting women during their pregnancy and following delivery.
Kim has a passion for teaching and research. She is a Conjoint Senior Lecturer at the University of New South Wales. She has been recognised by the Academy of Surgical Educators of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons and the University of New South Wales for her contributions to medical education. Kim has been an invited speaker at scientific meetings. Her past research collaborations in Lynch syndrome have led to the Cancer Institute NSW Premier’s Award for Excellence in Translational Cancer Research.
Qualifications and Achievements
General and Colorectal Surgery
- Certified Master Surgeon, Robotic, Minimally Invasive and Colorectal Surgery
- Member, Colorectal Surgical Society of Australia and New Zealand
- Fellow, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Master of Surgery, Colorectal Surgery (University of Sydney)
- Bachelor of Medical Science, Medicine and Surgery with honours (University of
New South Wales)
- Accredited supervisor in Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, Gastroenterological Society of Australia
- Program Director, Centre of Excellence in Robotic, Minimally Invasive and Colorectal Surgery, Hurstville Private Hospital
- Conjoint Senior Lecturer, University of New South Wales
- Conjoint Lecturer, University of Western Sydney
- Cancer Institute NSW Premier’s Award for Outstanding Cancer Research
- Finalist, NSW Premier’s Award for Excellence in Public Service
- Southeastern Sydney Local Health District Improvement and Innovation Award
- University of New South Wales Teaching Excellence Award
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons Academy of Surgical Educators’ Educator of Merit Award
Areas of Expertise
- Colonoscopy and advanced polypectomy
- Robotic surgery
- Laparoscopic surgery
- Transanal surgery
- Colorectal cancer
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Colorectal endometriosis
- Rectal prolapse and pelvic floor dysfunction
- Faecal incontinence
- Pilonidal disease
- St George Public Hospital
- St George Private Hospital
- Hurstville Private Hospital
- Prince of Wales Private Hospital